Looking for the BA English ( Honours ) course details, subjects list, and syllabus?
Here you will get all the details for BA English ( Honours ) like subjects list and syllabus, course details, fees, admission process, salary, eligibility criteria, job profile, etc.
If you are interested in writing, reading, analyzing in the English language then BA in English is one of the best courses for you.
BA English Course Details
Main Key Points
|Course Name||Bachelor of Arts in English|
|Eligibility Criteria||12th class in any stream|
|Admission Process||Direct / Merit Based / Entrance Exam|
|Course Duration||3 years ( 6 Semesters )|
|Course Fees||10K – 30K per annum|
|Salary||3 Lakh – 6 Lakh per annum|
|Exam Type||Semester Wise|
|Job Profile||Teacher, Professor, Executive Assistant, Clerk, lecturer, Editor, Technical Writer, Copywriter, Journalist, Civil Services Officers, Educator, Public Speaker, etc.|
|Higher Study||MA, MBA, MSW, MFA, MCom, MMS, B.Ed, Digital Marketing, etc.|
What is BA English Course?
B. A. English course is a 3-year undergraduate degree course, this course is often done by people who are more interested in English Literature or Communicative English.
BA English is one of the best undergraduate programs after the 12th class with English for the students.
It is the study of interesting poetry, lessons, history, drama, novels, grammar, prose, etc.
The main purpose of the course is to provide knowledge about the English language, improve communication skills in English, improve critical writing skills, increase literary skills, explain the principal types of literature, make capable to evaluate and analyze literature, etc.
Students taking this course spend their time reading poems, proses, essays, and other pieces of literature.
Along with this, in the course of BA in English, various types of Nobels and other books are also added to its curriculum studies.
Through this course, the student who does this course helps him a lot in reading English, in getting information about English, in increasing his speaking speed or fluency in English and writing English.
Is. In this course of BA in English, students who do school, their understanding about English Literature is increased in an intellectual way.
As we know that India was ruled by the British for about two hundred and fifty years, and because of that the importance of English has not diminished in our day-to-day routine.
And in a way, English is also a language spoken all over the world, because the British had included almost half of the world in their colony. Because of this, English has got the status of an international language in almost half the world or more.
Today, if a person knows English well, is able to talk well in it, and has made his communicative skills very high through English, then getting a job in any field is very difficult for him.
It just gets easier. That’s why people do B. A. English Literature course or B. A. Communicative English course.
After completing BA in English course, the scope of the students increases a lot, and they are expected to get work in a lot of fields.
In today’s time, even after the competition in many places, English students get preference in any field, and this is a fact.
BA in English course makes capable to understand various methods of conducting literary research, it makes capable to use critical strategies to create kinds of literature.
If you like the English language then BA English is a very good career option for you.
BA English Syllabus and Subjects list
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Introduction to literary studies||Indian classical literature|
|European classical literature||British literature 1: from medieval to the renaissance|
Semester – 1
1. Introduction to literary studies
- What is Literature?
- Reading Poetry
- Reading Prose
- Reading Drama
- Readings: Issues in Literature, Culture and Criticism
2. European classical literature
- Introduction to European Classical Literature
- Discussion: Old Comedy, Roman Comedy
- The Bible
- Sappho, prescribed selections
Semester – 2
1. Indian classical literature
- Introduction to Indian Classical Literature
- The Mahabharata
- Introduction to Atikal
- Deb Sen, ‘A Woman’s Retelling of the Rama Tale’
2. British literature 1: from medieval to the renaissance
- Introduction to early and late medieval literature
- The Wife’s Lamen
- Introduction to Shakespeare
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|British literature 2: the seventeenth century||British literature 4: the romantics|
|British literature 3: the eighteenth-century||British literature 5: the nineteenth century|
|Literature and caste||Women’s writing|
Semester – 3
1. British literature 2: the seventeenth century
- Introduction to the Jacobean period, the Civil War, and the Restoration
- Paradise Lost
2. British literature 3: the eighteenth-century
- Introduction to the long eighteenth century
- Prose genres
3. Literature and caste
- Short Stories
- Prose Readings
Semester – 4
1. British literature 4: the romantics
- Introduction to the Romantic period
2. British literature 5: the nineteenth century
- Introduction to the Nineteenth Century
- George Eliot
3. Women’s writing
- Introduction to Paper
- Prose Readings
|Semesters 5||Semesters 6|
|Twentieth-century British literature||Modern European drama|
|Forms of popular fiction||Postcolonial literature|
|Discipline Centric Elective – Any Two||Discipline Centric Elective – Any Two|
Semester – 5
1. Twentieth-century British literature
- Introduction to Twentieth-Century British Literature
- Prose Readings
2. Forms of popular fiction
- Literature for Children
- Detective and Spy Fiction
- Science Fiction
3. Discipline Centric Elective – Any Two
|American literature||Literature for children and young adults|
|Graphic narratives||Literature and mediality|
|Indian writing in English||Literature of diaspora|
|Interrogating queerness||Modern Indian writing in English translation|
|Literary criticism and theory – 1||19th-century European realism|
1. Modern European drama
- Introduction to Modern European Dram
- Introduction to Chekov
- Prose Readings
2. Postcolonial literature
- IntroductionPostcolonial Literature
- Short Stories
3. Discipline Centric Elective – Any Two
- African literature
- Latin American literature
- Literary criticism and theory – 2
- Literature and cinema
- Literature and disability
- Partition literature
- Pre-colonial Indian literature
- Speculative fiction and detective literature
- Studies in modern Indian performance traditions
- 20th-century European literature
12th class in any stream from a recognized board.
Students from any stream can take admission in bachelor of arts in English, no matter a student from a science background, commerce background, and arts background.
If you are a pass in 12th class you are eligible for a bachelor’s degree in English.
There are some colleges that want 50% marks and some colleges just want a pass class. And there are some colleges that have their own entrance exams.
3 Years ( 6 Semesters )
BA English is a regular, distance, and online 3 years course that includes 6 semesters.
Now almost every university takes exams on a semester basis.
There are 2 semesters in a year, each semester cover 50% syllabus of a year.
Therefore, according to the semester, there is only a 50% syllabus in the examination.
Direct / Merit Based / Entrance Exam
The admission process varies from university to university.
There are so many institutes that offer direct admission on basis of 12th marks obtained from a recognized board.
And there are many institutes that take an entrance exam and also conduct group discussions for admission.
There are a lot of colleges in India that offer direct admission into a BA English course. They don’t demand any entrance test to crack to get admission in that particular college.
They just want the 12th class pass in any stream ( Arts, Commerce, and Science ) from a recognized board. You need not secure a minimum of 50% marks to get admission.
Generally, Private colleges offer direct admission to students.
All you just need to go to the college with the relevant documents, they will check it and you will get admission to any respective college.
There are many governments and private colleges that offer admission on merit-based into the Bachelor of Arts in English course.
Generally, they conduct the online-based selection process so that they can give admission based on merit. Also in Offline mode.
You have to fill application form step by step –
Step 1 – Registration
You have to click the university’s website to complete the registration of which university you have selected.
Fill in all the details carefully as per the requirement.
Step 2 – Log in
After completing registration you will get a username and password, you can log in by using it for further process.
Step 3 – You have to fill the application form
In the third step, you have to fill in all the details like students’ name, father and mother name, education qualification, address, mobile number, email id, security pin, nationality, date of birth, gender, category, etc.
Be careful while filling application form because sometimes small a mistake can cancel your admission.
Step 4 – Upload images of relevant documents
After filling the application form you have to upload images of relevant documents such as mark sheets, caste certificate, living certificate, address proof id, and other required certificates.
Step 5 – Preview the profile
In the 5th step, you have to preview the application form to check any mistakes before clicking on final submission.
So that you can ensure about your application form.
Step 6 – Final Submission
When everything is filled you can click final submission to submit the application form.
Step 7 – Pay the application fees
You can complete the process by paying application fees ( If any )
Based on Entrance Exam
There are some reputed universities that demand entrance exams to take admission.
If you want to join the BA English course, you have to pass the entrance exam.
The entrance exam can be passed in two ways.
If you want, you can pass the national entrance exam or you can pass the entrance exam of any college.
Their selection process is the same as merit-based admission but you just have to add a score of the entrance exam.
Popular Entrance Exam
- JNUEE – Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination
- BHU UET – Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test
- CUET – Christ University Entrance Test
- GLAET – GLA University Entrance Test
- JMI EE – Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance Exam
- SET – Symbiosis Entrance Test
- SUAT – Sharda University Admission Test
- IPU CET – Guru Gobind Singh Indrapratha University Common Entrance Test
It is the charge students paid for their tuition classes in educational institutes for their education purpose.
Course fees depend upon the institute so they charge as per their demand.
BA in English course fees varies from college to college as follows.
Rs. 5K – 30K as per institute or state ( Government )
Rs. 10K – 1 Lakh as per institute or state ( Private )
The bigger the reputed college, the higher the fees they charge.
The salary depends upon the organization and what knowledge you have and it increases as per your experience, knowledge, performance, and skills.
As a fresher, you can expect 3 lakh – 6 lakh per annum
BA Political Science Course Details
BA Economics Course Details: Subjects and Syllabus
Why should I Join BA in English ( Advantages )
- It is a less expensive course.
- We can join after 12th in stream.
- You can get job both private as well as government organizations.
- You can become techer, executive, editor, professor, writer, professor, lecturer,copywriter, journalist, technical writer, etc.
- You can explore your career in fields like mass communication, journalism, hospitality, NRI, civil services, publishing creative writing, advertising, media reporting, marketing, teaching areas, research, etc.
- You can gain knowledge about English language and communication skills, trasnlation studies, creative writing, film studies, literature, critical thinking, literary skills, etc.
- After taking an English course, a person can contribute to Public Relations and Advertising in Corporate Houses.
- A person can contribute to editorial and content development positions.
- One can get the post of Manager in Media Services and Event Management.
- Theater media can contribute to the entertainment business.
- Can contribute as an English language and English literature researcher.
- B. A. After doing a course in English, one can also do self-employment, which is also called entrepreneurship.
- Apart from this, a person can also contribute to the civil service.
- Can work as writer and publisher.
- Bloggers can also do the work of critics and rivers.
- If a person does a course of B.A. in English, then after doing this course, one can also do master’s courses for higher studies.
- Apart from this, a marketing strategy can also contribute to communications.
- He can also work as a language expert and translator.
- In big companies like Wipro, Tata, India Today Group, NDTV, (All Print Media Houses), Genpact United Health Group, and many other big companies like these, that person can be appointed to a good position to work.
Disadvantages of BA English course
- The advantages of doing a BA in English course are many but there are also disadvantages, and the disadvantages are very less.
- BA in English course is absolutely useless for a person who wants to progress in the field of science.
- If a person takes a course of BA and one thinks of making a career in journalism or any such field, then he has to face a lot of competition.
- After doing the course of BA if a person wants to settle his career, then for this he has to work hard or struggle for at least 10 to 20 years.
- After doing BA course, a person does not get any job easily. For this, it is very important to have the required skills for that job.
- As a science or like any other commerce student, that person is not normally appointed to the position.
- If a person lacks focus then B. A. After taking English course, it may take 30 years for him to settle his life.
- If a person lacks focus and he does a course in B. A. in English, then he will take a long time to choose his career, because there are many career options in B. A. English.
- The advantages and disadvantages of having too many career options are equal. The advantage is that he can contribute in any field, and can set his career.
- And the disadvantage is that due to the availability of so many options, it becomes very difficult for a person to select the right option for himself.
Creative and Innovative Skills
Creativity and innovative skills are the most important skills for BA in English degree holders so that you can use these skills in teaching, writing content, journalism, researching, copywriting, news reporting, etc.
These creative and innovative skills should have everyone not only BA in English degree holders because it helps to grow in every sector to create business and research new things.
If you want to achieve go in the teaching area, want to study further, or want to go in field related industry then must have good knowledge in core subjects.
The students who want to score well in the exam then you should have good knowledge in all the subjects.
And core subjects knowledge is very useful in interviews, group discussions, campus placement, and getting a job.
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills
Critical thinking and problem skills, these skills are very important for all students to grow in life.
Critical thinking helps you to make a decision at right time, bring new ideas to increase business and for self-growth, find a solution, create opportunities for you, and many more.
And problem-solving skills help a lot grow your business, it also creates opportunities to grow yourself and your business, you can become a great leader.
As a BA in English student, you must have these skills.
Ability to work under Pressure
If you want to work in a company or any organization then you have to work under pressure of boss so you should have the ability to work under pressure.
As a fresher, you have to work underboss or manager you have to remain calm in every situation, stay focused on work so this will help you a lot to grow yourself.
So if you want to do a job then prepare to work under pressure.
Teamwork and Collaboration Skills
After completing of BA in English course you will go for the job in any company then you have to work with your team members so you must have teamwork and collaboration skills.
Sometimes company works on a big project at that time all the employees work with each other so that time these skills prooves very useful.
So teamwork and collaboration skills are very important in a company or everywhere where two or more people work with each other.
As a BA in English student, you must develop these skills.
Leadership skill is a very important skill for those who want to become a manager or a leader in a company or want to do their own business.
If you have leadership skills then you can make decisions easily, inspired people, motivate them, become honest, create a visionary, become a problem solver, a critical thinker, become judgemental, etc.
If you want to become a great leader then you must have this skill so that you can achieve the desired goal for you or a company.
Communication skills are very important for everyone to do something big in life.
If you want to do a business, want to do a job, want to travel, or want to do anything communication skills play a vast role.
As a BA in English student, you must have these communication skills so that you can achieve whatever you want, you can fulfill your desire by improving your communication skills.
Good communication increases confidence, builds team, makes better relationships, increases engagement and productivity, handles conflicts, increases job satisfaction, increases problem-solving ability, improves presentation skills, builds trust, etc.
BA Philosophy Course Details: Subjects and Syllabus
|Content Writer||Executive Assistant|
|Civil Service Officer||Editor|
You can become a teacher after BA in English to get an opportunity to teach students in a school or a college about English subjects.
You can also share knowledge and information about career options, empower girls to study, inspire students and people to do something big in their life, make a positive impact on students, can teach students about how to achieve success in their life, how to set a goal and achieve it.
Becoming a teacher and teaching students is one of the best services because you have the power to change people’s life.
BA in English course provides a lot of knowledge and information to explore your career in the content writing field.
Content Writer is one who writes content for websites, blogs, e-book, social media, and also they can write books, stories, etc.
You can get the benefit of the English language in content writing so it becomes easy by choosing BA in English to become a good content writer.
Types of Content Writing
- Article Writing
- Business Writing
- Technical Writing
- Story Writing
- E-Book Writing
- Website Content Writing
- Book Writing
- SEO Content Writing
- Academic Writing
- Freelancer Writing
Becoming a journalist after BA in English best career option because you became very good at the English language by choosing English in BA.
It helps you a lot to gather information from events, interview sessions, programs because when you will have a good command of the English language you will analyze very well.
It improves writing skills, improves communication skills, increases critical thinking and creativity, you can become a very good analyzer and researcher, etc.
Types of Journalists
- Arts Journalist
- Feaure Writing
- Business Journalist
- Crime Journalist
- Sports Journalist
- Opinion Journalist
- Cultural Journalist
- Trade Journalist
- Broadcast Journalist
- Watchdog Journalist
- Online Journalist
- Entertainment Journalist etc.
The copywriter is one who drives sales, leads generates, brings businesses by running ads on social media, websites, emails, etc.
They are expert in storytelling, writing emotional content, creating extraordinary content, and public relations so they drive traffics easily and brings business.
It is also called marketing writers.
If you choose English in BA then you will get the benefit of the English language, you will be able to become a very good copywriter and explore your career in copywriting.
Types of Copywriters
- Social Media Copywriter
- Technical Copywriter
- Direct Email Copywriter
- Long-Form Copywriter
- Digital Copywriter
- Catalog Copywriter
- Brand Copywriter
- Public Relation Copywriter
- Marketing Copywriter
- SEO Copywriter
- Print Copywriter etc.
The editor is one who checks and ensures the quality and mistakes of content or anything in written form and after they rewrite it or edit it as per their requirement ( Companies, organizations, universities, etc. )
If you have a very good knowledge of the English language then you can get a chance to become a very good editor so you should choose English in BA.
Civil Service Officer
You can explore your career by clearing UPSC ( Union Public Service Commission ) and becoming a civil service officer ( IAS, IPS, IFS, etc ) after completing graduation in BA English
By becoming a class 1 officer ( IAS, IPS, IFS ) you can get huge respect from society. It is too difficult to become a civil service officer but not impossible so you try your level best to crack the exam ( UPSC ).
There is a lot of benefits who becoming a civil service officer like a government job, huge respect, job security, stable income, a lot of other facilities such as home, car, assistant, driver, security, etc.
The clerk is one who works in the office and has worked like looking after accounts, recording data, and other office works in a company, banks, court, school, college, etc.
You can become a clerk easily after completing graduation BA in English because you will get the advantage of the English language.
There is a lot of benefits for a clerk such as a very good salary, you can get a promotion by your performance, you can become a probationary officer ( PO ) also in the banks, less workload, etc.
Best Courses after Bachelor of Arts(BA)
MA – Master of Arts
Master of Arts ( MA ) is one of the most popular and best post-graduation degree courses after BA in English.
You can become a master in economics, you will get knowledge of finance, management, and economics. It will help you a lot in day-to-day life.
MSW – Master of Social Work
Master of Social Work is the best post-graduation degree course after BA in English or BSW ( Bachelor of Social Work ).
If you are interested in serving people who are below the poverty level, unemployed, alcoholism, drug abuse, old ages, and uneducated.
Then you must have to join this course.
If you want to educate society for a better life, want to make a good impact in someone’s life want to solve their problem, and many more, then the master of social work can best career option for you.
MBA – Master of Business Administration
It is also the most preferable professional course for BA students in the management, marketing, and finance field.
If want to do business then you must join MBA because it provides a lot of knowledge about how to do business.
Nowadays the MBA degree has become the most demanding course because of new start-ups, trends of doing business, and many more.
MFA – Master of Fine Arts
Master of Fine Arts is one of the best post-graduation degree courses after or BA in English.
If want to become an artist, master any performing arts like dance, music, drama & theater, film Making, etc.
Or master in visual arts like creative writing, painting, literature, photography, animation, graphic designing, applied arts calligraphy, textile design, printmaking, digital arts, etc.
Then you should go for an MFA ( Master of Fine Arts ) in your interested area.
MMC – Master of Mass Communication
Master of Mass Communication is one of the best courses after BA in English for those who are interested in news anchoring, reporting, copywriting, etc.
There are several important specializations in bachelor of journalism and mass communication such as,
- News channel
- Newspaper etc.
B.Ed – Bachelor of Education
It is the best course after BA in English for those who want to become a teacher for government and private schools, the government, and a private college.
If you are interested to join the teaching field then you must join the bachelor of education course.
7. Digital Marketing
It is also the best course after BA in English because digital marketing is on-trend these days.
Nowadays, Internet usage is increasing day by day
Generally, No need for any special qualification to learn digital marketing.
If you are in 6th, 10th, 12th, or graduate, you can start to learn digital marketing.
Digital marketing contains courses as follows.
|Social Media Marketing||Mobile Marketing|
|Web Analytics||Email Marketing|
|Sales funnel||Convention rate optimization|
|Search Engine Optimization||Content Marketing|
Career Scope in Government Organizations
You can also prepare for Government job exams such as.
UPSC( Union Public Service Commission ) Civil Services Exam for
- IAS( Indian Administrative Service )
- IPS( Indian Police Service)
- IFS ( Indian Foreign Service).
Banking Exam for
- Bank PO( Probationary Officer )
- Bank Clerk.
RRB Exam for – TC, Clerk
SSC Exam for
- Income Tax Officer(CBDT)
- Assistant Audit Officer
- Assistant in Ministry of external affairs(MEA)
- Inspector(Central excise)(CBFC)
- Inspector ( Preventive Officer )
- Assistant Enforcement Officer(AEO) and many more.
And state government also provides so many best jobs for Class-1, Class-2 and Class-3 like
- Dy. Section Officer
- Dy. Mamlatdar
- Junior Clerk, etc.
So the arts stream is very good you can choose for your bright future.
Top Colleges and Universities
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Daulat Ram College, New Delhi
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Indian Institute of Art and Design
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Amity University, Gurugram
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, New Delhi
- Hansraj College, New Delhi
- Miranda House, New Delhi
BA Geography Course Details: Subjects and Syllabus
BA Psychology Course Details: Subjects and Syllabus
BA History Course Details: Subjects and Syllabus
Q1 – What are the best courses after BA English?
A – There are some best courses after BA such as MA, MFA, MBA, Digital Marketing, MBA etc.
Q2 – Is BA English difficult?
A – No, It is not difficult. It is all about our interest and dedication in any particular subject.
Q3 – What are the best jobs after BA English?
A – English Teacher, Professor, Content Writer, Executive, Assistant, Lecturer, Public Servant, HR Executive, Editor, Policy Analyst, Clerk etc.